I never really understood why or how Facebook became the more successful social network of the two. I had a Facebook before all of my friends but never ever used it because I didn't see the appeal at all. Then I stayed with Myspace for as long as I possible could before I was forced to make the move over to FB.
Myspace was and still is way cooler than FB will ever be. Here are a few reasons why I think MS is better than FB
- Customisable profiles. On Myspace you can customise your profile to look however the hell you want it too. Your profile reflects your personality. It really is your space. On the other hand every Facebook profile looks exactly the same. Apart from being able to add a million apps and boxes to your profile the main theme is the same. That theme is white and blue and it is boring as batshit.
- Less stalker friendly. I guess one could argue that this depends on your privacy settings. However on Myspace you generally cannot spy and comment on what your friends are saying to each other. You can do this on Facebook though. It's pretty much eavesdropping on someone elses conversation and it sucks. You can also moderate people comments to you before it is put on your profile and you can set your profile so that only people who know your last name or email address can add you. On MS you can also hide certain parts of your profile from everyone ie comments so that nobody can see what anybody is writing to you ever. Win win win.
- Better for music. Lots of bands have official MS pages and lots of bands use those pages. A whole lot more than they use FB. Myspace has been a launching pad for many now well known artists and is still a Mecca for new music. A lot of your favourite local bands will have a Myspace page where you can listen to their music and find out about upcoming gigs.
- Less shit. FB has lots of games. Lots of applications. Lots of fan pages and groups and SHIT! MS does not. Ok ok so it does have things like that but it not used and abused to the extent that it is on FB. Man If I get another wall post saying "your friend has answered these questions about you, add this app to find out what she said" I will throw a brick at my computer. Not only do I not care what she said...but if I did care? I would just ask her myself.
- Custom news feed. Two things, number one, when you add a friend you have the option straight up to decide if you want them to show up in your news feed. So if you are doing the obligatory "I don't really want to add you but I have to or you'll piss me off at work/school/whatever" thing then you can say NO to including them in your feed and you can comfortably ignore them. Number two, you can choose between seeing just status updates, photos, music, videos, bulletins, events or everything. That is something that FB desperately needs.
- It's just way cooler. I don't know. I have always thought that Facebook has this kinda wanky snobby "I am better than you" kinda vibe to it. Myspace has a friendlier, chilled out, relaxed atmosphere. My feelings about it are summed up in their names really. Myspace is more about me where Facebook is more about the facade.
Love Caz xoxo xxxx
P.s. oh how silly of me! You can visit my Myspace here or if you prefer Facebook it's here or for Twitter (which I purposely didn't include in this debate) i'm here